Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hockey fights...at age 3???

Maybe these boys have been watching too much playoff hockey this week? I don't know, but Owen and his good buddy and neighbor, Gabe, were "going at it" just about the entire time during their final skating lesson of the current session on Friday. As a disclaimer, they were both guilty of being the instigator, even though in the only videos taken, it appears as though Owen was the bully. But, I promise, he wasn't the only one stirring up trouble. We have no idea why they chose to do this at this lesson because they were both always so good every other week. But, we, the parents were getting a big kick out of it, while at the same time being totally mortified. The craziest thing is that they were doing it with huge smiles on their faces! They were having a blast and completely oblivious to the fact that it was wrong. As you can hear in the first video, this Mommy was not too happy with what I was seeing out of my child. His Daddy put him in "the penalty box" (aka time out) for "hitting someone while they are down." Needless to say, we all had a big talk with the boys after the lesson (because they can't really hear us from where we watch) and both of the boys seriously thought it was the funniest thing and didn't seem to understand why they were in trouble. And, it really does probably have something to do with the amount of hockey being watched in both of our households over the last few weeks. Who knows?! But, I will say, growing up going to hockey games for as long as I can remember, the fights were (and still shamefully are) my favorite part of the game. However, seeing your child do it makes it a totally different situation! I seriously hope that this "fighting" was just a fluke during this particular lesson and that it won't become a problem. At this point, it is something funny to look back on and I know in the future when these boys are playing on the same hockey team, they will get a good laugh out of it, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment