Sunday, May 23, 2010

May...the month for SURPRISES!!!

There are only 3 times in my life that I have been truly surprised, and my wonderful husband has been responsible for all of them!! And, all of them have happened in the month of May!

First, in May of 2003, Buddy became part of our family at my graduation party. I was not expecting that sweet, little, black puppy to come prancing around the corner that day at all. I mean, we had talked about getting a dog, and he had even told me he was going to get me one for graduation. But, then, everything "fell through" and all of the dogs had "already been sold" before we could get one. Meanwhile, Randy just wanted to make it a surprise!! Well, it certainly worked because I was shocked to the point of tears...

Next, 6 years ago today, Randy asked me to be his wife!! You talk about being surprised...I don't think surprised even comes close to describing what I felt that day. For all I knew, we were just going for a little run around the loop with our friend, TW. I certainly would have worn more clothes and perhaps done my hair a little differently had I known what was coming. But, then, that would have totally defeated the purpose of the surprise, now wouldn't it?! And, isn't that what surprises are all about...being caught completely off guard? Not only did I think a proposal was at least a year off, but I definitely would have never expected a proposal after running in 95 degree heat. I was brought to my knees, LITERALLY, upon realizing what was happening. The biggest surprise of my life for sure!! I was planning to do a whole post today on our proposal, with more details of the story, complete with video footage of the occasion. But, the only format we have the video in is DVD, so uploading the file is not coming too easily. Randy said he would work on it, so I hope to have something up soon to share that very special day of ours, 6 years ago! For now, here is the one and only picture we have from that day (I had put more clothes on at this point...for the actual proposal, I was wearing only a sports bra and shorts! Oops!)
Now, for another very special day, and the third surprise that Randy has orchestrated for me! You see, tomorrow is my 30th Birthday. I haven't made a big deal about it and to be honest, the thought of turning 30 hasn't really been scary to me at all! It is just another birthday...but, ask me 10 years from today and I just may be shedding a few tears, who knows? Anyway, earlier this week, I got a phone call from Ms. Holly about having my family birthday dinner gathering at her house. It is something she does for all of us at some point around our birthday to celebrate as a family, so I was none the wiser that there was an ulterior motive. We all get together one evening around the day of our birthday and have dinner/dessert and just spend family time together. She and I chatted and I told her I would talk to Randy and get back to her. Then, when I saw Shawnee, I mentioned it to her and she said that her family would be able to be there. So, after talking it over with Randy and finding out we were all free, Ms. Holly and I decided we would have dinner at 4pm to celebrate my birthday Saturday night. Little did I know, I was merely agreeing to be present at my own surprise birthday party!! All along, Randy had been planning to surprise me (for over a month) with the help of his parents and sister. I was completely oblivious to the whole thing. So, fast forward to yesterday. I was pretty lazy for most of the day. It was just a typical rainy Saturday for Owen and I...playing in the playroom, folding laundry, and lounging in our PJs. Randy was "in Oakmont helping Shawnee and Og with their yard sale" in the morning (really he was setting up for the party and I had no idea) and then just relaxing the rest of the afternoon. Around 2:30, I finally decided it may be a good idea to take a shower, which apparently was a huge relief to Randy, who I guess was certain I was going to show up un-showered, no makeup, hair all a mess, and in my PJs!! Had that been the case (which it never would be...I don't tend to be a slob ALL the time, hehe), I would have KILLED him for not telling me!! Anyway, fast forward to approximately 4:10 when we arrived at the Voelps' house. Nothing was out of the ordinary when we arrived...only 2 cars in the driveway, Grammy and Pappers greeted us at the car and got Owen out of carseat like always, and we all walked into the house together. It is pretty much the way things go every time we arrive at their house. Grammy said she had gotten a new train table for the boys and that Drew and Ryland were in the basement playing, so we should go downstairs to check it out. Still no clue that anything was going on. Then, Randy stopped in front of the basement door at the bottom of the steps and I almost ran him over. I still have no idea why exactly he stopped, but I was somewhat irritated...until he opened the door and all I could hear were noise makers and "SURPRISEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" I was in total shock at all of the people gathered in the room. So many wonderful friends and family! And then, the biggest surprise of all came around the corner...MY PARENTS!! I had NO IDEA they were in town. I was under the impression they were coming the first weekend in June to celebrate my birthday and my Mom's birthday, or so my Mom had claimed earlier in the week when we chatted (that Mom of mine is very, very sneaky!). They had been in on the whole thing from the very beginning stages of planning! Needless to say, the waterworks began almost immediately the instant the door was opened. I was beyond surprised, shocked, or any other description I could possibly come up with. It was overwhelming and heartwarming to say the least! It probably took me an hour to settle down to the point I could stop shaking and actually feel like eating anything (even though I was starving prior to arriving). It was such a wonderful and special evening and I have my very thoughtful husband to thank for that, along with his amazing family and the 2 best parents a girl could ever ask for :) I will do a post later complete with pictures and more details about the party and the actual making of the surprise itself. Thank you to everyone who was a part of celebrating my 30th birthday...what an unbelievably special day that I will never forget...I LOVE YOU ALL!!! 2 pictures for now of the SURPRISE, lots more to come when I have time to get a detailed post together...

I have learned 2 things from all of these very special surprises...One, May seems to be the month of choice, so I need to be on the lookout in the future of suspicious activities and Two, Randy is VERY good at planning and executing said surprises, so never underestimate him and his abilities to pull one over on me :) Thank you for being the best friend and husband I could ever ask for! I LOVE YOU, RANDY...to the moon and back!!!

2 comments:

  1. How sweet, Brie!!! I loved looking at the pictures through the years! I still remember hearing about that proposal- that seems like forever ago! Time is flying, girl! I'm so glad you had a great party!! Happy Birthday, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have a man that can pull off such great surprises for you! Very few people with such skills at being crafty and sly use their gifts for good! lol

    ReplyDelete