Today, we had our big ultrasound. First of all, let me just go ahead and say...It's a SURPRISE! This is somewhat by choice, but mostly because the baby was being uncooperative today. We had decided last week that we definitely wanted to keep it a surprise, after going back and forth for several weeks now. Then, on our way there this morning, Randy said, "Are you sure you don't want to know?" I just looked at him and gave him a big punch in the arm! Man, don't do that to me!!! I had already resigned myself to not finding out and then he throws that out there...nothing like being torn on our to the have the ultrasound, huh? We finally decided we would have the tech write it down and put it in an envelope, leaving us with more time to decide. Our thought was maybe we would open the envelope when we celebrate Christmas with my family this weekend or even maybe Christmas morning. But, at least we would have more time to decide if we want to know. Anyway, the baby ended up making the decision for us and wouldn't give up the information. Apparently, he/she was in the frank breech position, which means the feet are up by the face and the butt is down instead of the head. The cord was coming between the legs and getting in the way. At one point, I was sure it was a girl, but the tech said I was seeing something she wasn't (her words were actually, "you must have better eyes than me because all I am seeing is the cord.") and kept searching. Obviously, she knows better than I do :) She tried for a while and just couldn't tell. There was a moment when she said, "Oh, that might be a...!!! Well, wait, you guys don't want to know and I am not sure anyway." I took that to mean maybe she saw boy parts, but she didn't feel comfortable enough either way putting it in the envelope, so I don't think she was certain of anything she saw! Neither Randy, nor I saw anything at that moment when she said that, so I can't say for sure what she thought she might be seeing. I am guessing girl after seeing the baby on the ultrasound for some reason, but I really have no idea! To be honest, my thoughts hinge solely on the fact that the baby's feet look more like mine. Owen's feet looked just like Randy's at his ultrasound, so I just assume this time it must be a girl! But, really, who bases a decision like that on the shape of feet?! Hehe! I can't believe I was so certain with Owen and I have no feeling this time around. I am thrilled and excited either way, that is for sure!! I will say that now I am very happy we didn't find out. I was so torn and I feel like the baby just made the decision for us. So, a SURPRISE it remains!! We are so thankful to God for a healthy baby, no matter what it is!!

In other news, we did get some somewhat upsetting information this morning. We were told that I most likely have placenta previa. I have to say that I was completely caught off guard with the news and very shocked. The possibility of placenta previa wasn't even on my radar screen today. There are so many things you can hear at the ultrasound, but this was one thing that never even crossed my mind. Everything I ever knew about placenta previa meant that there should be bleeding and maybe even cramping, which I have had none of. So, when she was taking her measurements and thought she saw my placenta over my cervix, I was shocked. And, terrified. I know what it can mean. She had to take several measurements and pictures and wasn't able to tell if it was a full previa or just marginal. And, there is a possibility that there is no previa at all. Until the radiologist reads the ultrasound, it isn't certain. But, we will know for sure in a few days once my doctor gets the report back. If it does show that there is previa, they will have to repeat the ultrasound in my 28th week. When I spoke with my doctor, he said that it is very common early in pregnancies and that all but about 1% of patients have the placenta move by the time they are full term. However, if it is still present at 28 weeks, it will mean a definite schedulted c-section. I am pretty sad about that possibility because I was really hoping for a VBAC. But, it is all in God's hands at this point. Whatever happens, I just pray for a healthy delivery and a healthy baby. That, of course, is the important thing. So, as long as the turnout is good, I will try not to be disappointed in the route and in what happens on the way to the point of delivery (i.e. potential bedrest, stopping exercise...both things that have the potential to send me over the edge!!). Please say a little pray for us that we will either get good news from the report (i.e. no previa) or that the placenta will move away from my cervix over the next several weeks. This can all be very scary and though I am feeling better about the situation, it definitely makes me nervous.

That is so exciting!! Don't forget to tell the tech at your 28th week its a surprise or they may say "he or she!!" I had a marginal previa as well at our 18 week appointment. They were a little worried about it but it had moved up by the next one. I am sure your's will move as well as the baby grows! Hope you are feeling good.
ReplyDelete