To start...Potty Training! One month after starting the process, I feel comfortable saying that he is officially potty trained! Did it take that long to train him? Well, no. But, for me to get to the point that I feel totally comfortable with the whole thing, yes! He even went the entire trip down to and back from NC without any accidents! I was so proud of him for always telling me in the car and holding it. I was definitely not expecting that to happen. He is not nap or night trained, nor do I expect him to be for a while. Although, I will say that the 1st 2 weeks of training, he was waking up several times during nap and at night to go potty and waking each morning/after naps with bone dry diapers. That was strange considering I was expecting the night/nap training to be a long way off. But, it didn't last. After 2 weeks, he was back to just doing his thing in his sleep. I guess he was just excited in the beginning about his new found "trick". I must say I am kind of glad it didn't last because getting up that many times for potty breaks was exhausting. Anyway, Owen hasn't had an accident in about 2 weeks and is doing great at letting us know when he has to go. I am sure he will have accidents in the future, but I really feel like we have pretty much mastered the potty. Now, if I can just get him to figure out how to get on the thing by himself, we would be in good shape!
Speaking of waking up at night...I really might be just as well off if Owen was night training himself. He has been waking up several times each night (usually just 2 or 3 times, but sometimes as many as 6 times) crying/screaming/calling out for us. We aren't really sure what is going on, but it honestly seems as though he is just trying to get attention or needs reassurance that we are there. Most of the time, he just needs help finding his favorite part of his blanket or even just to be told to go back to sleep. But, there are the occasional times when he is scared of something, which is the sole reason that I always go in to check on him. I am so worried that if I start trying to let him cry-it-out or I don't go in and just assume it is something petty, it will be one of the times he is scared of monsters or whatever else he might be afraid of. And, I really don't want him to think we have abandoned him or that we aren't there when he is scared of something. For the sake of getting some sleep at night, though, I may need to give cry-it-out a try. It just seems so weird to me to be doing that with a toddler. I mean, we already went through that with him as a baby and up until the last 2 months, he has been a great sleeper (with the exception of that really bad sleep regression stage a few months ago). Anyway, I am just not sure what to do about this whole thing. I keep hoping it is just a phase and he will be over it soon, but so far, no such luck! I really try to remember the phrase "this too shall pass" and realize that things could be much much worse. A little sleep issue pales in comparison to some of the things some parents go through. Now, I can't promise that I necessarily remember that in the middle of the night when I start to get frustrated from being up so many times, but I really do try to tell myself that each and everyday!
Some funny things Owen is saying lately...I really want to record these so that I don't forget. I know when he gets older and is saying everything correctly, I will miss the cute ways he used to say certain things!
- "Cleam it up"-it cracks me up that he interprets the word "clean" as having an "m" on the end of it. So darn cute, though, to hear him say it!
- "Hepicoper"-that is a helicopter
- "Bunny Basket"-this goes for the actual Easter basket as well as for the Easter Bunny...apparently they are pretty much one in the same in his eyes! Once, we tried to correct him when he was calling the Easter Bunny this and he got really mad at us and said, "NO, my Bunny Basket!" OK, then, you are exactly right, Owen!! No arguments from us on that one anymore!
- "Mogercycle"-that's a motorcycle and we hear this at least 1,000 times a day...every single one he sees on the road, in a magazine, in a book, on TV. And, most of the time, it goes like this, "yook Mommy, Papa's mogercycle!" Don't you know? They are all Papa's "mogercycles"!!
- "Twolet"-each time he goes to the potty, he wants to "flush the twolet". I can't help but to crack up everytime because it is just so funny to hear the way he says it :)
- "Oh, I sorry, dat's my fault"-anytime he accidently runs into you or does something that may cause you to say "ouch" for whatever reason, this is his response. He also says "I sorry, it assident" sometimes, which is equally as funny and cute!
- "Twobrella"-that one would be his umbrella. I really have no earthly clue why it is a "twobrella", but it is so funny everytime he says..."Oh no, it rainin', my twobrella pease?" Perhaps maybe he thinks we are saying "onebrella" and he is, in turn, saying the next number in line. I don't know? But, isn't it hilarious?
- "Ah-bar"-this is a granola bar. You know, Granol-Ah? I guess he is just leaving off the beginning part and shortening the word a little? Too funny!
- "Rebot"-you see, when Owen first became interested in robots, he said it "roboat"...now he has the beginning part of the word right, but says the ending wrong. Silly guy!
- "Suse me"-that is "excuse me"...anytime he burps or needs to get by someone or gets in the way of someone, he says it. Pretty good manners, huh?
- "Football/baseball/basketball game"-those words in and of themselves are not anything special...but the fact that he calls all balls a "game" cracks me up. For instance, he will point to a football and say, "dat's Daddy's football game!" So, it's not just a football, but a football game :)

No comments:
Post a Comment