Saturday, July 17, 2010
Baby Birds
We have known for a while that there were 2 birds' nests under our back porch. But, we weren't sure at what stage these nests were (i.e. eggs laid, birds born, etc). And, not wanting to disturb them, we never did actually look into the nests. We were worried that if we did and there happened to be eggs, the Mommy bird would abandon them. That actually happened once before, when we discovered a nest in our hanging plant back in NC. So, we have just left them alone. Well, yesterday afternoon, when I passed by the porch to let our neighbors' dogs out, I heard a screeching sound and looked to my left. I was so excited to see 3 baby birds with their heads up high, crying for food in one of the nests. They were so cute and I was just beside myself with joy. I ran back in the house to get my camera, which was dead...then grabbed my phone instead to see if I could capture them. By the time I got back outside, they were all settled in the nest again. So, I just put my phone above the nest and snapped a few pictures. They weren't great quality pictures. Only one of the babies even seemed aware that anything was going on and picked his/her head up a little. But, ever since yesterday, everytime I have been outside, I have taken my camera with me. This morning, I was able to get a few pictures of them sleeping and then awake, screeching again because my flash woke them up, and then back asleep again. They seem to be easily aroused, but they settle down very quickly and go right back to sleep. And, just to be clear, I have NOT touched them or their nest at all. I have only been an observer. This afternoon, I was able to get a little bit of them on video. I am so flipping excited about this. How sweet that a Mommy and Daddy bird chose our porch for their babies to be born under! I hope we get to see them growing. I promise I will take as many pictures as I can without disturbing them or making the Mommy mad!! Here are the pictures and the video that I got this morning...

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment