Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving weekend in NC

We had a wonderful trip to NC for Thanksgiving this year! It started on Wednesday when we traveled south and G-Ma and Papa treated us to a Hurricanes game. It was Owen's first ever NHL game and he was over the top excited to go! I'm pretty sure he told everyone we saw in Cranberry, whether we knew them or not, that we were going before we left. We went up to the glass before the game and Owen had a blast watching the team warm up. He really seemed to enjoy the game as well, despite the fact that it was really loud. Lately, loud sounds seem to be bothering him, so G-Ma sat with her hands over his ears for the entire game. Otherwise, he was not having a good time and didn't want to be there. Owen's favorite player is the goalie, Cam Ward. He was pretty much obsessed with him while they were warming up. He doesn't know any of the other guys on the team, but he sure knows who the goalie is! We all had a lot of fun, even though the Canes lost :(


So excited to be on his way to see the Canes play! And, very proud of his ticket!

Erik Cole

Eric Staal

Owen watching the team warmup...that's his favorite, Cam Ward, in the background!


Thursday, of course, was Thanksgiving. Randy, my Dad, and I started off the day with an early morning run race. We ran the Gallop and Gorge 8K in Carborro. It was chilly to say the least, but we had a great time. Not that I am keeping score, but I definitely beat Randy, again! Even at 17 weeks pregnant, he can't beat me. Just sayin'! I will say that I am very proud of him for getting back into running and being very consistent with it! He's working hard and that is all that matters! After the race, we returned to Hillsborough for showers and to get ourselves ready for Thanksgiving lunch at Meme's house. Owen had a blast swimming in the "pool" (my parent's hot tub) with Papa! Lunch was delicious, as always! We really enjoyed visiting with Meme, Mammaw, and Papa and eating a yummy meal.



Bright and early...headed out for our race!


After the run...swimming in G-Ma and Papa's "pool"


Friday morning, we were up bright and early, once again, to head to Greenville for the ECU football game. We were not too excited about the rain that was supposed to happen all day, but it was our one and only opportunity this season to see a game, so we sucked it up and went anyway! On top of the rain, I wasn't feeling well at all and Owen seemed to be coming down with some sort of rash. The entire ride there, I was thinking it was only fitting to be sick when visiting with the Coopers. That seems to just be part of our time together every time we see each other. I was, however, determined to make myself keep going because Steph B and her boyfriend, RK were coming. I was really excited to meet him and get to hang out a little with her. And, I also didn't want to miss out on seeing the Woolards, the Bakers, the Patchkofskys, and the O'Briens. Even though the tailgate was a wash out with the rain, we were excited that things cleared up and the rain went away for game time. As the day/game went on, I felt worse and worse and Owen's rash was spreading. His rash never really has turned into more than just that...a rash, but it looks pretty bad, all over his neck and his face and a little bit on his back. I am guessing it is something viral since it doesn't itch and hasn't gone away with hydrocortisone, but who knows? By the time we left the game, I knew I had a fever. Sure enough, I did and it got higher before I could get any tylenol in me. The evening was pretty miserable for me with aches and chills and my stomach being pretty out of wack. But, most of all, I was sad that I wasn't myself to be able to hang out with the Coopers and the Woolards. We see them all so rarely and I was just feeling down, but what could I do :( The game was a good one, but the Pirates lost in overtime. Bummer! We did have a good time and Owen was really into it this year! I did, however, have to put ear plugs in his ears because it was too loud. I am not sure what this newfound disliking of loud noises is all about, but I guess we will just deal with it as it comes. At least the ear plugs did the trick!

Ready to cheer on the Pirates...Arrrrrrrgh!!

Me with Emma and Cameron...yes, she is taller than me now. Wow! She was Owen's age when I first met her and now look at her, a teenager...13 years old! And, I remember when Cameron was born! My, my, my! Where did the last 10 years go?

Cheering on the Pirates and enjoying the game!

Owen and Bella watching the game

Our favorite place to be for 10 years of our lives...Dowdy Ficklen! Check out the new endzone!


Amy and Bella...love them!

We looked over at Owen and he was following other Pirate fans in the crowd with his arms crossed and his fingers out in 3's...3rd down, No Quarter! Too cute that he did this on his own!

Owen and "Dr. Joe" (he was Owen's PA at his pediatrician's office when we lived in Greenville...LOVED him and we miss him!!!)

Steph and me enjoying some time at our alma mater!

Steph and RK...cuties!

Randy and Amy

Brie, Sandy, Amy, Renea...not a good pic, none of us were ready or looking in the same direction! Oh well!

Oh my! That's all I can say!

Amy and I with the Patch twins...can't believe they are sophmores in high school!

Saturday morning, I woke up feeling MUCH better! I have to say, I was expecting it to be a rough day. But, my fever was only low grade by the morning and I didn't feel bad at all. I have no idea what came over me on Friday, but I am so thankful that it was gone by Saturday morning. Amy went and got us all breakfast and we were able to spend a little more time with Corey and MaryScott before they had to leave. I love how even though we are all in different places, we can come back together like nothing has ever changed. After breakfast, the kids played a little and we all got ready and headed out for lunch at Chili's before going to a matinee movie. Owen and Bella went on a date to see Tangled and Amy and I chapperoned, while Randy and Will went to see The Last 3 Days! We all enjoyed our time at the movies for sure. I have to say that Tangled is one of the cutest movies I have seen in a long time! Very good and one I highly recommend to those with children (even boys) for sure! After the movies, it was time to pack up the car and head back to Hillsborough. But, first, we had to stop at K&W for dinner with my parents! Yes, I said K&W! This pregnancy has me craving southern comfort foods! What better place to get all the comfort food I could ever want than K&W?!?! It is probably a good thing I can't get that sort of food in PA because otherwise, I would most likely gain 100 lbs! Anyway, it was a delicious dinner! We spent one more night with my parents in Hillsborough and left this morning to return to PA. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know our trip was wonderful and we are so thankful for all of our family and friends who made that possible! Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment