Well, we had a little excitement to start off the 28th week. This morning, we went to breakfast with Randy's Mom and Aunt Karen before Aunt Karen had to return to Boston this afternoon. We went to the Kountry Kitchen and as always, it was delicious, but it may have been just a little too much for my body to take right now. We went to visit Randy's Poppy after breakfast and while we were there, I got this very familiar, but very strange feeling in my upper abdomen. It felt just like I remember in the weeks after Owen was born, as my liver was returning to normal and I was dealing with a failing gall bladder. I can't quite explain the feeling, but it was very distinct and very uncomfortable. It isn't a pain, per se, and it isn't that I feel bad, but almost an empty/hollow feeling in my upper abdomen, right where my liver is/gall bladder was. And, I am not nauseous, but feel like it could turn to that at any moment. When I mentioned this to Randy as we were leaving, he immediately got really concerned and wanted me to call the doctor. I hesitated for a while because, honestly, it wasn't a feeling I would normally (had I not had the liver issues with Owen) have even thought twice about and certainly nothing I would have called the doctor about. But, after some urging from him, I finally called. I was told that I had 2 options given my history when Owen was born...I could go to triage at L&D or I could wait until tomorrow and see the OB at the office. Either way, she told me to go home and relax first and see if it would go away. So, that is what I did. We came home, Randy wouldn't let me do a thing, got Owen down for his nap, relaxed and then took a nap myself. After all of that, the feeling hadn't gone away. So, we decided to call again and let the doctor know I was going to be heading to L&D. We really just wanted the peace of mind that my liver isn't starting to fail again. The doctor agreed that she thought it would be a good idea to check my liver enzymes given my history. She even mentioned that she almost called me back after I called earlier to have me go to a nearby lab to have my blood drawn, but she did some searching and none were open on Sundays. So, she held off and waited for me to call her back. She called triage to let them know I was coming and to go ahead and order the bloodwork. Anyhow, we headed to the hospital and after monitoring the baby's heartrate, my contractions (only Braxton Hicks at this point, nothing regular or concerning), my blood pressure, and doing bloodwork to check my liver, kidneys, and platelets, everything checked out perfect. In fact, at this point, my liver enzymes are right where they were when we did the baseline draw at the beginning of the pregnancy. That is awesome news! We were so scared that my liver enzymes were starting to elevate, even if they weren't at a dangerous level like when I had Owen. So, to hear that everything was perfect was so wonderful! As I sit here, I am still having that feeling, but since everything checked out fine, I am not concerned. I guess it is just from something I ate at breakfast not settling right. I am just so thankful to God that everything is OK and that we can sleep tonight knowing that my liver is fine. This is by far our biggest fear with the pregnancy, so knowing that the levels haven't changed a bit is very comforting at this point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


How scary! I had no idea...glad everything's alright. Hugs and prayers for a healthy third semester for both you and baby.
ReplyDeleteI know! We didn't want to worry anyone until there was something to worry about! With everything going on with Nana and Poppy, we wanted to spare the family until we knew what was going on. Thanks so much for the prayers! Almost there ;)
ReplyDelete