Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Potty Training

Guess who is officially potty training now?? Yep, that's right, my big boy, Owen!! I have been saying all along that I wanted to start (again) once he got transitioned into his big boy bed. My plan was probably to try in the summer. I had no idea that he would lead the way, less than a week after getting into said big boy bed (which by the way is going great!). It was this past Friday, after his nap, that Owen said, "Poopy potty." Now, usually, this means that he has already gone and it is time for a diaper change. But, this time, he hadn't gone yet, so I rushed him to the potty and he went...Yeah, Owen!! He was then naked on the bottom for a little while and a few minutes later said, "Poopy again!" So, we ran back to the potty and again, he went!! WOW. I decided that he would then be in big boy underwear whenever we are home in hopes that he will be trained soon. He has actually done really well. He has had very few accidents. However, he has really only TOLD us he has to go three times. I have pretty much been asking him/telling him to go for the most part. But, it is so encouraging when he tells me on his own. I know that a lot of "potty training experts" say to always let them tell you and let them figure it out without asking/telling them, but I am not sure I am ready for the numerous accidents that come from that just yet! He has been in big boy underwear all day for the past 2 days, with the exception of nap/bedtime/being out in public. Just now, he was eating his dinner, when all of a sudden, he jumped up and said, very quietly, "Pee-pee!" I said, "Do you need to go pee-pee on the potty?" He said, "yeah!" as he ran towards the bathroom. I was fully expecting to sit him on the potty and find that he had already gone his pants, but nope, he had waited. I was so proud!! It is funny how excited I get when he does this. All by himself, he just realized he had to go and headed that direction. I think he is getting it a lot quicker than I thought he would. I am sure the Smarties after each visit are helping. Bribery Rewarding can be such a wonderful thing sometimes :) I seriously wanted to avoid the "reward" thing, beyond alot of high praise, if at all possible because I was worried he would be going all the time for candy. But, so far that hasn't been the case. He has always reminded me afterwards that he gets candy, but hasn't actually gone for the sake of getting candy as of yet. Wish us luck over the next few days/weeks! I had no idea I would be starting to train him (again) so soon. I fully expected to wait until the summer. But, as always, Owen has shown me that I am not in charge, even though I would like to think that I call all of the shots :)

No comments:

Post a Comment