Three is definitely the toughest age so far for Owen. You always hear "the terrible twos". But, I totally disagree. Two was so much fun and I thought Owen was a really good 2-year-old. Now, three has been a totally different story! He has become quite set in his ways, which leads to a lot defiance and whining and sometimes, even tantrums. The little attitude that he has developed has made my day to day life interesting lately, to say the least. Now, don't get me wrong, he is still loads of fun and I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world. But, TOUGH pretty much sums him up right now. However, in the midst of all of the tough times, the good always out weighs the bad and he continues to have us laughing everyday. He is a mess! Here are some of the latest things he is saying that keep us on our toes...
"Nehermind, Mommy!" - He says this all the time! It is usually when he knows he has said something that he shouldn't and he is essentially trying to "take it back." Because, you know, if you say, "Nevermind," it means you never really said it, right?! If only that were true, it would probably save us all from a lot "foot in mouth" situations! Silly boy!!
"I's just talking to fill in the blank" - A lot of times when Owen is speaking to someone and it isn't really clear what he is saying, I (or Randy) step in and explain what he is saying. Or, maybe we will just answer him instead of trying to explain to the other person. Well, he seems to get a little perturbed with us when we do that and tells us, "I's just talking to ______!" I usually get a little upset with him because it is somewhat rude, but at the same time, I can't help but laugh!
"This not too spensive, Mommy" - A few weeks ago, Owen and I were in a store and there was a robot that he wanted really bad and wouldn't stop talking about. I am not one of those parents that gets something for him everytime we are out and about, so of course, I kept telling him "no." Well, by the time we were leaving, I finally told him that it was "too expensive and maybe Santa will bring it to you for Christmas." Ever since then, everytime he finds something he wants (which is everytime we are out running errands!!), he will show it to me and exclaim, "this not too spensive, Mommy!" Ugh, I always tell him, "Yes, it is!", whether it is .50 or $50 :)
"2 minutes" - This is usually our time of reference for warning Owen that it is time for bath, time for bed, or time to go home, etc. So, he has picked up on that and now tells us, whenever there is something that he wants to do, "just 2 minutes" or "in 2 minutes". I love how he thinks he is in charge sometimes. Oh, how wrong he is :)
"Sit and rax with Daddy" - One night, a few months ago, Randy had just gotten home from being out of town and he told Owen that he could "sit and relax" on the couch with him before bed. Well, ever since then, Owen wants to "sit and rax with Daddy" EVERY NIGHT! If Daddy is home, he usually gets all of his "stuff" off of his bed (i.e. blankets, Curious George, pillow, etc) and sits with Daddy on the couch before bathtime, sometimes after. And, when I tell him it is time for bath (or bed, whatever the case may be), it is usually followed by, "just 2 minutes, Mommy!" You see how he operates?!
"No" - This is exactly what you see. Sometimes it is more like a whine, "Nooooo" or maybe he is mad, "NO!!!!" But, I know all parents have or will experience this one and it pretty much speaks for itself.
"You're driving me crazy, Mommy" - Randy often jokes that sometimes he has to get in the middle of Owen and me because by the end of a bad day (I use that term lightly because I know there are much worse situations and I am very thankful for even the worst days), I am usually at my wits end and about to explode. When Daddy is done with work, it sometimes becomes his job to step in and regulate for me so that I don't say the wrong things. Anyway, one night we were in the living room and Owen wasn't doing something that I was asking him to and he was starting to get quite defiant. We were going back and forth and he just would not listen to me. All of a sudden, he looked right at me and said, "You're driving me crazy, Mommy!" I guess he has heard me say that to him a lot and he was throwing it back at me. All we could do was laugh. It definitely lightened the mood :) That boy...I tell you what, he is something else!!
"I not doin' anything" or "Nuffin" - These 2 phrases usually scare me because they tend to mean he IS actually doing something he shouldn't be doing. It is usually in response to me asking, from upstairs while he is downstairs playing or after hearing a loud sound, "Owen, what are you doing?" If I hear either response, I KNOW something is up and I should check on him right away!
"But, I want it" - Grrrrrrr! Yes, I completely understand that you WANT it, but I can assure you that you are not getting it! I always try to explain to Owen that there is a difference between what you want and what you need. And, wanting it doesn't mean you are getting it!
"I pwomise" - This is usually Owen's attempt at getting something that he wants. "Mommy, I pwomise I not going to get hurt." "I pwomise I not gonna hit Drew with this." "I pwomise I will share." "I pwomise its not too wet outside to play in my dirt." It is never ending the things he will promise me in order to get his way.
"I told you several times" - This is something he has only said a few times, but it cracks me up! I have clearly said it to him a quite a lot when I have had to repeat myself over and over again to get him to do something. Let's just say, for instance, I have asked him a few times to put his shoes on and it isn't happening. I guess my tone changes and he picks up on it. So, he says, "I told you several times!" and glares at me. He must be getting to my point for me, huh? Oooo, that does burn me up, but at the same time, I am laughing inside :)
"I do it all by myself" - I think this is pretty self explanatory and it pretty much applies to everything these days, from putting his clothes on to buckling himself into his carseat. Most of the time, I really just want to help him in an effort to save time and to make sure it is right. But, I often get "scolded" by him. Trust me, I always "win" but I do give him some time to attempt on his own first!
"Make a happy face" - This is my current favorite. When Owen can tell that I am getting frustrated with him, he will look at me and scrunch up his face in somewhat of a smile and say, "Mommy, make a happy face." I guess he is trying to snap me out of my mood. It only works sometimes...depending on how frustrated I really am! Seriously, where does he come up with this stuff?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awww how funny! I can only imagine how interesting your day can be! You are such a fantastic mom though...I bet he just loves you to peices...even then he is saying NO! :)
ReplyDelete